Tuesday, September 27, 2005
I also went out and bought a big ratcheting crimp tool. It's a bit pricier than the sheet metal one I bought at Wal-Mart, but the difference with this thing is amazing. Makes the crimper I had been using feel like a kid's toy if kids played with fake wiring tools instead of fake woodworking tools. I highly recommend a serious crimping tool if you're going to be putting together a custom wiring harness.
Now that I've got the wires, I have to figure out where to actually put the Megasquirt box. Surprisingly, there isn't much in the way of good mounting locations under the dash on a Dart. I thought about putting it under the seat or just having it sit on the transmission tunnel, since I was planning to make a center console anyway. But I finally decided that I'll put it in the glove box. The liner is pretty bad anyway, so I don't have any qualms about cutting a hole in the side to run the wiring through.
Labels: Dodge Dart
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Also, the new clutch slave cylinder for the Spitfire arrived yesterday. Hopefully this'll get it back on the road. It's been a tough car to own, as I found shortly after buying it that it needed a new wiring harness. I won't soon forget running across the parking lot, grabbing an industrial sized fire extinguisher, and putting out the burning high beam switch. Then once I got enough of a new wiring harness in place to crank up the engine, I found that the fluid had leaked out of the clutch. I hadn't been looking for another project car, but I wound up with one anyway.
Labels: Dodge Dart
Monday, September 19, 2005
First is a fuel pressure regulator from a Nissan 280ZX. This one lends itself very easily to do it yourself installations, since it has rubber hose fittings all around instead of connections meant especially for one fuel rail. Just run the fuel line downstream of the fuel rail into the upper hose inlet, and run a line from the lower hose inlet to the return line. There's a vacuum hose on the top to connect to manifold vacuum. I also noticed that Nissan's four banger NAPS-Z engine uses a nearly identical regulator, in case the junkyard vultures have picked the supply of Z-car regulators clean. It looks about as easy to install but is a little more awkward to remove. Most of the ones at Pull-A-Part were missing their regulators, but luckily they had enough still there that I could find one for my project.
The other item I picked up is a Toyota injector resistor pack. It looks like an aluminum box with fins, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I found mine on a Cressida, but many '80s Toyotas used these. Use one if you have an ECU meant for high impedance injectors but want to run low impedance ones. To wire one in, connect the black and red wire to a 12V source, power half the injectors with the white wire with a black stripe, and power the other half with the yellow wire with the black stripe. I bought mine because I didn't feel like wiring up a flyback board for Megasquirt, but this may work with some factory ECU's as well.
Thursday, September 15, 2005
Do cars get jealous?
Today I also dropped a set of used injectors off at Atlanta Chassis Dyno to have them cleaned and flow tested. Got them off Ebay from someone who pulled them out of an Mk III Supra Turbo. I figure if they'll support a Toyota boosted inline six well, they should also work on a boosted Mopar. They're supposed to flow around 450 cc per minute. I'll see how accurate that is, since they're flow testing them as well as cleaning them.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
The Project Dart
I've been working on the Dart for several years now - next year will mark ten years of owning it. When I last left off, I had tried to turbocharge it. It did run, but not very well. With a used Holley four-barrel tweaked by a variety of incompetant carb tuners (myself included), it had no end of drivability problems. So I parked it, and somewhere along the way the carb completely died and so did the battery.
Today marks my official attempts to get it restarted again. This time, I won't try to make a carb handle fuel mixtures under pressure. Instead, I'm using a Megasquirt homebuilt fuel injection setup. I've already had a local machine shop (Nunley Machine in Covington, Georgia) modify a Clifford intake manifold, adding fuel bungs and a fuel rail, as well as making an adapter so I can use a Ford 4.6 throttle body.
So, tonight I've started wrenching on the car itself. I got the old intake manifold off, and started putting the new one on. If you've ever worked on a slant six's manifolds, you are probably familiar with how the exhaust manifold hangs from two studs and has to be stretched a bit to fit on there. Well, I tried hanging it from the stud at the back and threading the front stud in, using the stud to stretch the manifold. The result was chewed up threads on the front stud. Looks like I'll have to get more studs on my trip to the junkyard this weekend. Along with some of those triangular washers - it's always useful to have spares when you're dealing with a slant six.
Labels: Dodge Dart