.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, January 20, 2007

 

Alternators with fine print clauses

I ordered a brand-new Bosch alternator for the Dart from RockAuto, and it arrived today. It's not a stock replacement, but a late model truck alternator for more amps.

Well, when I got it out of the box, I found that there was a serpentine belt pulley on it. And a note saying that some applications require re-using the original pulley. Now they tell me I needed a pulley. There's not a good way to put the original alternator's pulley on there, as it's press fitted on.

At least the pulley on the Bosch alternator easily removes with a cheap impact wrench. Just be sure not to have the alternator supported only by the pulley when you do this - ask me how I know.

Looks like I may need to go junkyard hunting to find a V-belt pulley.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?