.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 18, 2007

 

That used car smell

One thing about buying cheap used cars: They often come with rather strange smells. I've bought nearly odorless cheap cars before, but a strong smell is about as common as not. My Dart had a mildew smell, while the Probe that I entered in the $2004 Challenge had evidently served as a long term cat kennel. The Corvette also fell into the odoriferous category, smelling heavily of tobacco. And for a car that I'm using for a 40 mile commute, that smell had to go.

My first assault on the smell was to empty a can of carpet cleaner into the interior. It made a dent, but didn't really make the smell go away.

So today I called in the heavy artillery - I took it to a detailing shop and had the interior completely steam cleaned and shampooed. It was a bit pricey, but knocked out virtually all of the tobacco smell.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?