.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, May 16, 2009

 

One automotive related company may be going belly up - and I'm glad to see it

Looks like the Feds finally got Transcontinental Warranty Inc and Voice Touch Inc. - the scum who are apparently responsible for those robo-calls announcing that your car warranty is about to expire. I had a run in with these guys a couple months ago, or at least someone with the same business model. I asked for a live operator when they called, and the first thing I did was ask for their company's name and contact information. The operator's response was "Very funny," followed by an immediate hang up. Now what sort of professionalism is that, training a company's reps to not even tell prospective customers what company they're dealing with? The only actual identification they gave was, "Warranty center, this is Matt," and I was able to trace the call to what may have been a spoofed number. I have to wonder what he would have done if had stayed on the line and found out the only cars in the household were a 1995 Oldsmobile Achieva with nearly 200,000 miles, a 1995 Honda Civic that sees occasional racing use and a number of dyno flogs at work, and a 1966 Dodge Dart.

For further reading, check out the FTC filings against Voice Touch and Transcontinental Warranty. My experience seems to be in line with item 14 on the complaint: "In some instances, Defendants expressly claim to be calling from the consumer’s automobile dealership or manufacturer. Defendants’ telemarketers routinely hang up on any consumers who question Defendants’ affiliation with the consumer’s automobile dealership or manufacturer."

Labels:


Comments:
I used to get at least 1 call a day. I asked for the VIN # they were calling about since I owned 5 cars and they immediately hung up. The "no call list" only works if you can trace the offender! I hope they burn in Hades.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?